- 1 14-oz. pkg. medium tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small tomato, diced (optional)
- ¼ cup corn kernels
- ¼ cup black bean, rinsed (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- 1 tsp Hawaiian black salt or pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. cumin (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. hot sauce
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro or parsley
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (optional)
- Open package of tofu and pat tofu dry and press in a clean, absorbent towel with something heavy on top, such as a cast-iron skillet, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan over medium high heat, and sauté the garlic, onions and peppers until the onions are starting to brown around the edges.
- Add salt.
- Roughly crumble the pressed tofu into the frying pan with the vegetables.
- Sauté until the tofu is just starting to brown. Add the chili powder, salt and turmeric and stir to coat evenly.
- Add corn, black beans and tomatoes and continue frying until the tomatoes have broken down and the mixture is no longer watery.
Draining tofu: Place slices of tofu between a few paper towels or clean cloth. Press it between your hands or press tofu while lying on a hard surface, using the paper towels or clean cloth to absorb excess water.
Notes: You can change up the recipe by adding local seasonal vegetables like zucchini and carrots.
Leftovers make a great sandwich filling.
Add vegan cheese, salsa and guacamole for an extra treat.