- 6 slices day-old ciabatta bread, sliced about ¾-inch thick
- 1 cup Almond Breeze Almond Milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons millet flour (or spelt or whole wheat)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- tiny pinch of salt
- coconut oil, for the pan
- Powdered sugar
- Vegan butter
- Maple syrup
- Fresh fruit
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond milk, maple syrup, flour, nutritional yeast, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Place the bread in a shallow dish (with sides) that holds all of the bread. Pour the mixture over the bread, then lift or flip the bread over to make sure both sides are evenly coated.
- Heat a drizzle of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the bread slices and cook for a few minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Serve with powdered sugar, a dab of vegan butter, maple syrup, and fresh fruit.
*It’s very important that you get good sturdy bread. I used thick slices of ciabatta from the Whole Foods bakery. Please please do not use wimpy sandwich bread or your french toast will be soggy.
*nutritional yeast is not the same as baking yeast. Look for yellow nutritional yeast flakes in the bulk bins of your health food store.