- 1 ½ cups plant-based milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or maple syrup
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil or melted vegan butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix the milk, vanilla extract and the lemon juice or apple cider vinegar together in a small bowl/measuring cup. Set aside for about 5 minutes – this will make the vegan buttermilk.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt. The sifting really helps to make the waffles fluffy.
- Add the sugar, melted butter/oil, buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and using a spatula, gently mix the batter until JUST combined. It’s okay (and normal) to have some lumps. The batter should be thick and scoopable.
- Turn on and preheat your waffle maker according to which done level that you want.
- Using a ½ cup measuring cup, scoop out some batter and pour/spread into the middle of the greased waffle maker. You don’t need to push it to the edges. Close and let cook until the steam has COMPLETELY stopped from the waffle maker. Don’t open it before the steam is finished!
- Remove each waffle and place on a baking sheet in your oven or toaster oven on “warm” or 200F to keep warm and crispy until finished with the entire batter. Continue with the rest of the batter.
- Serve with your favorite toppings like syrup, bananas, strawberries, blueberries and whip cream.