- 1 9″ pie crust of choice (some store-bought pie crusts are accidentally vegan; check the label)
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 15 ounces sweet potato puree (about 1 and 3/4 cups of puree, 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup, brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- ¼ cup refined coconut oil(you can use virgin coconut oil, but it will have a coconut flavor) OR vegan margarine
- Preheat oven 400 F. Wash and dry sweet potatoes, pierce with a fork and bake on a cookie sheet for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender.( Alternatively, you can microwave them for about 8 minutes, checking every minute or so after the first 5 minutes). Allow sweet potatoes to cool. Meanwhile, prepare the crust.
Prepare the filling.
- If you have a food processor handy, simply combine all ingredients for the filling just until smooth. If not, then first whisk together all of the dry ingredients (cornstarch through nutmeg) in one bowl, and all of the wet ingredients in another bowl (sweet potato and sugar through coconut oil/margarine). Then, gently mix the wet ingredients into the dry just until combined.
- Pour the filling into the par-baked pie crust, smoothing out the top into an even layer. (You may have some extra filling left over).
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, and then, cover the edges of the pie with tin foil or a pie shield to stop them from browning too much. Continue baking for another 25-30 minutes or until the filling is set. The top should be dry and it should feel a little springy when you touch it.
- The pie will finish cooking out of the oven, so place it on a wire rack if you have it, and be sure to let it cool for at least an hour, preferably two, before slicing into it. After cooling completely, leftovers can be stored in the fridge.
- Serve with toppings of your choosing. Vegan whipped cream, powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, or just straight up slices of vegan sweet potato pie!